Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wellington again!

Last saturday I went to Wellington again on my own as I discovered on the friday that there is so much to see!  So i came back for a second time.
Catching the train bright and early I zipped along the Kapiti coast and arrived in Wellington at half 9 in the morning.  None of the main museums/attractions were open at the time, so I thought I'd have a walk about and see what was open.

Wellington in the morning

I walked about and went inside the Wellington land and sea museum and had a look around.  It's only a small building so it only took me an hour to see all of the exhibitions.  Most of them were to do with the harbour and the evolution of Wellington from a small town to the modern capital that it is today.  Highly interesting. 
Floor map of Wellington and the cook strait

The museum itself

I then walked around the harbour taking lots of pictures as I went and then walked around to oriental bay where I got myself an icecream and relaxed beside the beach before I made my way to Te Papa (the main museum in Wellington) to spend the rest of my day there.

Gorgeous day

I arrived in Te Papa around 12 and spent the rest of the day walking around seeing the various exhibitions e.g. Geosciences, new zealand history, the art galleries etc

The giant squid 
The treaty of waitangi, New Zealands founding document (like the equivalent of the declaration of independence) 
The imperial section

The Maori Marae 

No comments:

Post a Comment