Saturday, November 9, 2013

Coach journey and first day in Rotorua

Rotorua
Got up at 6 for the 8 oclock coach journey.
Drove through the north island to Rotorua and noticed the scenery getting more rugged and less agricultural the further towards Rotorua I got.  Drove past Hobbiton and got annoyed at myself because I should have booked a day trip to there, but never mind.

Got to Rotorua and instantly smelled the eggy sulphur smell that filled the air, it stunk at first but now I've got used to it completely.  
Luckily for me the hostel was a 2 minute walk from the coach drop off area.
I then checked in and sorted out my luggage in my room (second from the right) and then went for a little shop.  Bought mini breakfast cereal boxes, sandwich things and tined meals to last me the four days I will be staying here.  Only cost me £35 and £17 and considering I estimated id need £20 per day for food I think I've done fairly well.

Went for a walk that was meant to last 30 mins and I was gone for 3 and a half hours.  Completely lost in the beauty of Rotorua even though it stunk and I was frying like a piece of bacon and I got lost numerous times..... Was still fun overall.

I firstly went to the lake front at the end of Fenton street and took pictures of the lake along with Mokoia island


I then walked along the shoreline and eventually stumbled across Ohinemutu village, a place I was meant to visit tomorrow.  I accidentally stood on the meeting hut which I think is forbidden for any Pakeha so I ran off and round the visitors building trying to keep a low profile as an all-Maori rugby team were having pictures in front of the meeting hut.  Luckily none of them saw me haha.

 

Around this area are hundreds of random geothermal spots situated sometimes in awkward places e.g.
They are everywhere in Rotorua, bubbling with boiling water and splashing puddles all over the roads/pavements.

I then walked up a road to a backpackers pub and turned right only to see the geothermal pools.

Boiling mud pools.

I then walked back down into the town centre and walked around the shoreline to the golf course and then back to the hostel.  Caught some really good images of the lake and the bird sanctuary.

I have no idea what I'm going to do tomorrow.  I need to figure out a way to get to all of the volcanic tourist points as most of the best ones are a half an hours drive away.

1 comment:

  1. Gandalfs voice is in your head, saying "Go to Hobbiton young Robinson, it is your destiny! " Or is that Star Wars!!
    Whatever you do, don't hire a bike to go to the volcanic tourist spots, we'll never hear from you again, dissapeared into a mud pool. Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete