Thursday, November 7, 2013

Harbour cruise

Today I initially planned to go to the art gallery to observe the largest collection of Native and International art in New Zealand, however as I walked down into Queenstreet I decided to scrap the idea as the weather unlike what the weather report had said was quite pleasant and this fine weather did actually continue throughout the day (fortunately)
I spontaneously decided to book the discount two trip package for $30.  The first trip was a two hour harbour cruise and a short stop off at Rangitoto ferry wharf, the second was a ferry return ticket to Devonport.
(Auckland harbour building)

So I boarded the ferry which was rocking like mad, thank jebus i wasn't sick because usually I can't stand boats.  It then took me out of the main port and into the middle of the main harbour where I had an amazing view of the harbour and the CBD.
(City skyline from the harbour)
(Ferry terminal building)
(When the ferry had just set off)
We slowly sailed into the central part of the harbour where I could see all of the various districts and beaches of Auckland, the weather greatly improved, so much so that I had to wear my sunglasses.  The water was an amazing glassy green blue colour as well, the captain said that we were lucky to be out today as he's "never seen the water this glossy," 

(Devonport and mt victoria)
(Mission Bay)
(Me and Rangitoto island in the background)

(Typical environment on a young volcanic landscape)
I found it fascinating being on such a young volcano.  The new basaltic rock landscape formed by Rangitoto's erputions has become the habitat for a whole new array of plant, tree and animal species.  I obviously don't know the details in depth as I didn't soend much time there, but succession can be seen here as pioneer species such as lichens and mosses and grass break up the volcanic rock to form soil, this makes the landscape more habitable for more organisms e.g. Mammals and birds.

On the "beaches" recent (and by recent I mean in the past 1000 years) lava flows can easily be seen creeping into the sea, giving the water around Rangitoto a very dark blue colour.  The entire island is covered in plant life due to the nutrient rich rocks/basic soil that has been created by past eruptions it's like a mini jungle.

I very much look forward to spending the whole day at this amazing place tomorrow.

The ferry then set off towards Devonport and the harbour bridge.  I then started talking to an elderly guy who was a retired professional photographer from Boston and we just got talking about the harbour and what got him into photography, he at one time worked for national geographic in Alaska which I found fascinating.


(The harbour bridge)

(Sky tower fitting between two apartment complexes)
I actually found out that this was done by accident haha

Truly is the city of sails, 1 in 3 Auckland residents has a boat of somekind.  There are always yachts or fishing boats zipping up and down the harbour.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,

    Just wanted to say that it's great you seem to be getting out and exploring so much, despite the bad weather! Hope you're enjoying yourself, you've got a great time ahead of you!

    All the best,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete