Thursday, November 14, 2013

First day in Taupo

Caught the bus at Rotorua I-site just after I'd gone on one last walk of the town with some Gareth and Fran to look at the government gardens and the town hall
Then caught the bus at 13:00pm and it arrived at 14:00pm in Taupo centre.
Had a bit of a trek to the hostel and it's really pleasant with good ensuite facilities and the staff are really nice and offer advice on the best activities to do in Taupo.

I arrived in the room and sorted out my stuff before going on a bit of a wander around the town and in the park.  Really should have hired a bike, but I thought the walking would be good practice for the tongariro pass on tomorrow!

I first went shopping for some food but then went down to the lake front.  Taupo is by far the best place I have been so far, the town is compact and has everything you need.  The lake itself is absolutely beautiful, with its crystal clear water, I'm considering going for a canoeing trip with a provider for the 16th but I have to choose wisely because according to some people at the hostel a lot of water sport companies in Taupo try to rip off tourists!


I then went for a walk to the bungy jump and the Huka Falls, might go up there on a mountain bike ride on the 16th, so many choices!

When I got back I got talking to Elisa and Olitia, two french girls, and they invited me to cook with them so I spent a lot of time with them before going to bed, I have to be up early tomorrow to get the shuttle bus to Tongariro national park at the other side of the lake!

1 comment:

  1. Andrew - don't leave Taupo without going up the cable car trip..... It's breathtaking!! Xx

    ReplyDelete