Friday, February 7, 2014

SF day 4 alcatraz

Did Alcatraz today even though i promised myself a relax/let the blisters heal day.
I firstly walked to the nearest cable car stop in China town and caught the next cable car to fishermans wharf!  Was quite a good experience.

China town at night- from last night

Tram trip!!


I then walked to pier 23 and caught the 12 minute long ferry crossing to Alcatraz island.
When I got there I took the audio tour and frankly I loved it.  The tour was so informative and interesting and the prison is so genuine and creepy.

I learnt a lot about prison life and the various escape attempts and stuff about how the prison opened, closed and worked throughout its 30 year history.

Interestingly the boat was powered by wind and solar power

San francisco
Such a creepy atmosphere

Broadway walk way

Size of a regular cell

SOLITARY CONFINEMENT 

Bar stretcher, usedby the escapees

Bullet holes from when the US marines were brought in to deal with a prisoner uprising
Grenade blasts from the US marine assault

The guard tower

No comments:

Post a Comment