Monday, February 17, 2014

Golden gate park, mission Dolores and The California academy of sciences

Yesterday I woke up early to walk to golden gate park on the western side of the city.  The walk was pretty long but was worth it as the weather really cleared up and the city was bathing in sunshine and heat so it was a really good morning.
Golden gate park is so big its ridiculous, I walked about and found the national AIDS memorial and the Japanese tea garden before finding the California academy of sciences and the music theatre.

I decided that I would save the california academy of sciences for the day after because I wanted a full day to see everything.  I then walked to mission Dolores before going to Dolores park and then went back to the hostel to prepare the group meal.

Also found the painted ladies on my way there too

View of San Francisco from Dolores park


Today I did some things differently.  I made good use of the cheap public transport options that SF offers.  $4 return to golden gate park along Market street, not bad.  The journey took about half an hour because there are bus stops every five feet in this city for some reason.

When I got to the Academy of sciences I looked around the various exhibits and attractions which took me a total of 4 hours.  It wasn't the natural history museum by any means, but it was still interesting and informative.
I was particularly interested in the human origin and evolution exhibition along with the earthquake simulator and the planetarium.  In the planetarium Neil deGrasse Tyson narrated a show all about Dark matter and Dark energy, the stuff that make up 90% of our universe.

Artificial Philipine coral reef

The evolution section, concentrating mainly on the Galapagos islands and Madagascar and the process of Speciation in both areas.

Albino alligator!

Artificial rainforest

The Living roof

No comments:

Post a Comment