Saturday, January 11, 2014

Christchurch day 2

Today I visited Canterbury museum and took a city bus tour.

Canterbury museum was very good!  I walked around and visited the various exhibitions e.g. The graffiti exhibition and looked at the antarctic, geology and history sections.

  Interesting illustration on the side of the museum.  It shows the skeleton of an extinct Moa holding a kiwi bird, kiwi populations are sadly declining. 

The early settlers of New Zealand

The Moa were hunted to extinction by the Maori

Story of the first colonial settlers.  Christchurch was settled by English Anglican settlers.

Details on the exploits of Captain James Cook

Saw the Graffiti exhibition, particularly liking this one
And this one, done by Banksy

Then visited the Sir Robert Stewart Hall of Antarctic Discovery.  


My camera is a bit damaged from all of the wet weather I experienced on the west coast, so i apologise for the mistiness of some of my photos. 

I then went through the Geology section of the museum and read up on earthquakes, I'll be needing to do a bit of research before my internship begins in Feb!  This is a decent enough start.


So far from home


No comments:

Post a Comment