Friday, April 11, 2014

First and last day in Arica

Today started sluggishly, I was completely knackered after the flights and ten hour bus so I got up at around 9ish, had breakfast and then got off to work!  Oh and I felt my first aftershock this morning, I thought my chair was just wobbly haha!
I borrowed a bike from the hostel and rode around the busy streets of Arica, taking pictures, and writing observations of damage to the infrastructure, and buildings of Arica caused by the recent earthquake.  It was swelteringly hot at times, especially around midday and the sun was shining brightly from 10-sunset, so it was a very ideal day for fieldwork.

I weaved in and out of the crowded streets of central Arica and went into some buildings to record evidence of earthquake damage.  I have to say I havent seen as much damage as I had anticipated, however in some buildings such as the local government buildings in central Iquique (directly across from the harbour) there was a lot of visible damage, for examp,e cracks in the ceiling, stairs and floors.

I tried to enter the harbour but turns out you have to work there to get in.  The same situation applied to the local armed services building, but I only found that out after I was booted out by a Chilean soldier, very fun.

The rest of the day was spend cycling around the main neighbourhoods of Iquique.  I'd say the average MMI for the city was 3-4.  Most of the damage was focused in old buildings and poorly constructed buildings in the less affluent districts in the north of the city.

I'm going to be off to Iquique tomorrow which has been much more severely hit by the earthquake and following aftershocks than Arica.  Apparently the situation there is a lot worse, e.g. Disruptions to power and water supplies as well as disruptions to public transport.  Do not fear though!  As I have taken extra cautions.  I've booked my bus a day early, stocked up on food and water bottles.  I will arrive in Iquique at 11:00am and will take a taxi to the hostel before I start my half day of work.
I'm just about to go to bed after having a few beers and playing uno with some graduates from England, a German doctor and a German anthropologist.

Adios Amigos 




No comments:

Post a Comment