Thursday, June 5, 2014

New York day 2

Today I got into Manhattan early at around 9ish and used the subway to get to Southferry where I caught the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island.
My first time using the subway was very straightforward and well overall hastle free to be honest, I had a good subway route map on the touristy map of manhattan that I got from the tourism kiosk which told me where to go and when.  It was a lot less stressful than the tube in London, there aren't crowds of incredibly stressed out and anxious looking people running about as if the world is going to end, however it was absolutely roasting!  

When I got on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty is was dangerously crowded, this isn't an exaggeration, there were rows and rows of people on the ferry, some elderly people and women ended up having to stand up the whole journey and the rocking currents of the Hudson river estuary made it a lot worse.
Luckily I didn't get seasick and I made it safely to the Statue of Liberty.  

After having a look around the statue and trying to avoid all of the crowds I caught the next ferry to Ellis island,  just about a mile north of the Statue of Liberty.  Ellis island, in upper New York bay was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the USA as the nation's busiest immigrant inspection station from 1892 until 1954.  
Over 100 million US citizens can trace their ancestry back to this small island which I find incredible.  The main building is home to the Ellis island museum which highlights how the USA was built and formed by migrants from all over the world, it was interesting to look at the diaries and entries of Britons and Irish people who had moved to the US for various reasons.  It was a strange feeling standing in the registry room just thinking that the ancestors of a 100 million  people had stood here and had their names written down.

Afterwards I went to the financial capital of the universe - wallstreet 

I then walked the Brooklyn bridge and back across the Manhattan bridge before catching the train back to Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment