Thursday, December 26, 2013

First day of the south island!- Picton

This morning I caught the nine oclock interisland ferry from Wellington to Picton.  Despite the rough ferry crossing I made it across in one piece and got the chance to go up to the observation deck of the ferry to check out the stunning views of the Tory Channel and the Queen Charlotte sound before the ferry docked in Picton and I made my way to Sequoia lodge hostel just off Nelson Square.

Picton is a nice little port town with loads of shops and quaint neighbourhoods.  However this small settlement is dwarfed by the magnificent scenery that surrounds it.  The glistening waters and the majestic bush covered hills just bring one word to mind - paradise.

This afternoon after I'd checked in at the hostel I ventured into town intending to book a kayak or go on an eco tour but the last of the tour parties had left and there were no more tours, therefore I tried to find a good hiking route and fortunately I did.  
I climbed to harbour view point then on to Bobs bay before making my way back because of the persistent rain and the thick black clouds that were gathering above.
This place is amazing, so natural and majestic (despite the sounds of speedboats zipping past every now and again) I could stay on the beaches and go walking through the bush for days, but I must move on to Abel Tasman national park!

I'm thinking of renting a kayak or canoe for an early morning paddle tomorrow morning before I leave tomorrow at noon.  I will be coming back here again to get back to Wellington in a couple of weeks time so I will get the chance to enjoy these bays and the scenery again. 

Here's some pics from today.

Approaching the entrance to the Tory Channel.  The winds were so strong.





My hostel

The Marina

View of queen charlotte sound from the top of the ridge, shame about the clouds

Bobs bay




1 comment:

  1. Way hey!! Andrews on tour again! Great update Andrew...... ;) enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete